Skip to main content

The Princess Diaries Book vs. Movie!

Meg Cabot in my opinion is legendary.  She is my absolute favorite author so why not write a post about her?  To start off I want to give a little background on how I stumbled upon this brilliant author.  Short story, it started when I was in the sixth grade, (in the library of course), and I needed something to read when I happened upon a book with a crown.  The first book in the Princess Diaries series, The Princess Diaries.
 
This takes us perfectly to our topic of the day. Book vs. Movie! (Both Princess Diaries movies to be exact.)
 
Now first of all I want to say that I love Disney and I love Anne Hathaway, so even though the book and movie do not match I love the movie anyway.  But today we are taking a closer look at the story and comparing it to the movies.  Lets start by making a list like Mia does in her books.

 
Things wrong in both movies (Book to Movie comparison)
 
  1. Grandmere is not supposed to be nice
  2. Princess lessons are done in a hotel (not a gated house)
  3. Grandmere is missing her dog
  4. Michael is MIA in the second movie
  5. Where's Boris??
  6. Mia's hair color and style
  7. Where's her body guard
  8. Her group of friends
  9. Trevor (Mia's brother's name is Rocky!)
  10. Fat Louise Hair color
 
And the one that bothers me the most
 
Mia's father is not supposed to be dead!
 
 
Okay so I understand that some of these come later in the books, like Mia's friend Tina, but Tina's one of my favorite characters!  They skipped all of this when they made the second movie.
 
So yeah they got things wrong.  That's what they get when they don't get the author involved.  Seriously look at Harry Potter and Twilight, the authors had some say in those.  However I doo love the fact that Meg puts in the diaries that Mia thinks they are all wrong.  This made the two tie together so much more even with the differences.
I guess what makes the book s better though, there is more story to go around.  Let's hope Meg writes about her one day again (or at least writes another book with her or even helps Mia update her blog!)
 
Before I end this post I want to list some of the things I thought they got right in the movie even if it wasn't in the book. (Once again Mia style.)
 
 
Things Good in the Movies (even if not in the book)
  1. Michael! Hott!
  2. Mia was perfect! (besides her hair lol)
  3. Casting
  4. Genovia
  5. The Hair Dresser
  6. Outfits for the balls
  7. Dairy
  8. Mattress surfing!
  9. Mia's closet
  10. Chris Pine is amazing in the second movie
  11. I loved Julie Andrews the most (even though Grandmere isn't supposed to be kind.)
 
Well that's all I'm going to post today.  Leave some comments below you want more about this or any other book.  Also be sure to check out The Romance Bookie (romancebookie.blogspot.com) and find the Meg-A-Readers for some more fun.
 
 
What is your favorite book or movie?



Popular posts from this blog

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Happy New Year to everyone around the world!  It has been a few days and I'm sure many of you have been making resolutions to conquer the year with.  I have found myself in the same boat as many of you.   This year I have many things on my list that I would like to complete before the year is up.  I would like to become cleaner, heathier, and feel good about myself.  This is common among most of us, as a new year symbolizes a time to renew ourselves and become better.   What I also want to do is to read more.  This is not only due to the massive amount of books I have in my home, but also due to the want to feed my brain stories and information that books can give me.  I have made a goal that seems doable as it is only 12 books for the whole year. You may be asking, what are the books that I want to read this year?.  The answer..... whatever I pick up.  My goal is to get back into reading, and by forcing myself to read something I may not want to, would just be setting myself out f